Tomorrowland wallpaper 1 Tomorrowland wallpaper 2 Tomorrowland wallpaper 3

Dartegnian's old blog|Where dreams are penned|Stories are written|Ideas are built|And set in motion

INFOSEC Log 3: Smooth Criminal


This week, we tackled about cyber crime issues, privacy, and other stuff relating to those. We learned about the different cybercrime types and it was a really cool lesson to learn overall. The various in which people can be exploited through different crime schemes, and the various laws that cover and protect people were just amazing.

Although most of these were things that were common sense, or stuff I already knew, learning about them in-depth was still great. As far as I know, there was that "debt elimination" scheme wherein you'd receive an email from a company that claims to wipe off all your debt in exchange for a little sum of money. There is also that commonly-known scam known as the Nigerian "419" scam wherein a person would email you claiming to be a relative or the Nigerian prince that would give you his million-dollar inheritance money in exchange for a few thousand dollars to help him get it.

These are just some of the various ways "smooth criminals" try to make you part from your money. Although I admit that avoiding these scams are already common sense, there are still, unfortunately, who get scammed by these practices. And so, learning about how these scams and dirty tricks operate is something we're very glad to learn about.

Another thing we learned about is privacy. I have to admit, I laughed when my classmate said that privacy is only your identity online. Thankfully, I believe I recited correctly and said that privacy is the right to not have all your activities be tracked online. Although let's be fair, privacy does, in fact, cover your identity, but it isn't just limited to your identity.

Here's an example I thought up: If you are on Facebook, sharing your real name with friends and the general public, your privacy is not fully compromised. But, the moment Facebook or some other entity shares the pages you visited, the people you've been talking to, your messages with those people, your geolocation, the network you're on, and even the list of people you've blocked—that is, unequivocally, the time that your privacy is compromised.

As for me, my stance on whether or not users should be private online is firmly on the pro side. I highly believe that people, should at least, have some form of privacy online. And being a privacy freak (I highly monitor my info on Facebook), I really get triggered whenever someone says "if you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide." I have a problem with that argument because I actually don't want people to find out all the sites I've visited, my password, and the pictures of me that I don't want anyone to see.

But yeah, all in all, it was a really fun and interesting two weeks of INFOSEC.

Share this

COMMENTS SECTION